Monday, March 15, 2010

My arthritis rears its ugly head again

I have spent the last month feeling pretty good. I have been (almost) able to pretend that I don't have rheumatoid arthritis. We took the kids to Disneyland and, other than not being able to push the stroller, I did really well. We also bought a treadmill since I am very aware that I need to exercise and the only exercise I can really do is walking. I can't walk around the neighborhood because I can't push the stroller and the only times I would be able to walk would involve having at least one little one with me. So, I have been walking the treadmill 3-4 times a week and feeling pretty good about it.

But, feeling good has come to an (hopefully temporary) end. Saturday afternoon I started to have some minor aches and pains that I tried to ignore. I know better than to ignore my pain. I keep telling myself, reminding myself, that at the earliest onset of those aches I need to start my prednisone to help control the swelling and pain. But, since I don't listen to myself, I ignored it and by Sunday morning I could barely get out of bed. My knees were so stiff and painful that I hobbled around using my cane all day. Using my cane means that by the end of the day my wrists and elbows were also bothering me.

But, I started my medicine and I am moving a little better today. Better, but not great. Which means that I can look forward to getting majorly behind on my laundry, dishes, vacuuming, and other housework.

Enough complaining! I will do my best to post something good and upbeat next time. Hopefully.

2 comments:

Jason Schalow said...

You didn't mention that you don't listen to your husband when he reminds you to take your meds, either! :-)

Bianca said...

sorry to hear about the flare up! I am sure you will be feeling better by the end of the week (God willing). Until then a few margaritas may help the medicine go down, in the most delightful way! :-)