Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh, where dreams can lead

I had a dream the other night about an old friend from high school/college. We were briefly college roomates, and our friendship didn't exactly end on a high note. So, I had this random dream about her, and the next day I decided to try to see what she was up to. So, I googled her name. Now, as most of you know, when you google a name you tend to get all kinds of results. The first few results were regarding sentencing - as in jail time. I thought, no way is that who I'm looking for! I clicked on some links further down the page, but none of them were her.

A bit disappointed, I clicked on one of the links about sentencing, just out of curiosity. Well, as you probably guessed, this was my old friend. It seems that a few years out of college she became involved with a radical eco-terrorist group. She was arrested and sentenced in mid 2007 on two counts of arson.

This totally surprised me. My friend had always been an activist, but always a pacifist. She always had in incredible respect for life and the well being of others. As I researched more of the incidents, it became clear that she was actually brought into the group by a boyfriend (of course!!) and that shortly after the incidents she was involved in, she left the guy, the group, and everything to start over. She had completely re-made her life. She moved to a different area, got married, worked with the elderly and apparently became quite the upstanding citizen. Then, six years after all this occured, she was arrested. She pled guilty and cooperated with law enforcement. She is now in the midst of a 4 1/2 year sentence in federal prison.

So, what do I do with this information now? Well, I have decided that I will contact her. I found out which prison she is in, and I will write her a brief note to say hello. I don't even know if she wants to talk to me or have anything to do with me. But, I do believe that the Holy Spirit brought her back into my life for a reason and now I just have to see where it leads.

No comments: