Monday, July 19, 2010

Book Review

While I read nearly constantly, I rarely feel the need to post a review of what I am reading. This is mostly because I read a bunch of bad "girly" fiction. This last week has been the exception. I just finished "Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion" by Fr. Greg Boyle.

For those of you not familiar with Fr. Greg, he is the founder of Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles, an organization that helps gang members to reform their lives. He has a pretty incredible personal story and his work with Homeboy is phenomenal. I have heard many of his stories via Jason (Fr. G says mass once a month at the probation camp that Jason helps at) and his stories are often funny and always touching. This book is a compilation of his experiences over the last 20+ years working with gang members. This is one of those rare books that had me laughing, even as tears ran down my face. Fr. Greg helped me remember that even though the men and women that he works with may seem a world away from me, we are all children of the same God, one who loves us all, despite our mistakes.

Please, please, please, buy his book! It is available on Amazon and Kindle.

No comments: