Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How do you explain the unexplainable?

My friend Suzanne has breast cancer. She is one of the most incredible women that I know and this has been a huge blow to me and all of her friends. One of the most difficult things for me to deal with has been explaining it to Darian.

Darian adores "Mrs. D". He once told me that if he could live with any of his friends, it would be with Sam, mostly because "Mrs. Di Silvestri is, like, one of the greatest moms ever." Darian knows that we have been praying for her health, but last night he happened to read over my shoulder while I was reading Suzanne's blog regarding the diagnosis of breast cancer. He asked me about it, we talked a bit, and he simply said, "We just have to keep praying."

Then, about fifteen minutes after he went to bed, he came out of his room, sobbing. I asked what was wrong and he said, "I'm so scared for Sam's mom." I held him for awhile and we both cried together. After a few minutes, he looked up at me and asked, "Mom, why did God let Mrs. D get cancer?"

That, my son, is the million dollar question. I wish I had an answer. I know that God has a plan for all of us and I know that we won't always understand those plans. I know that our God is a God of love, and whatever the outcome, it will be for the greater good. But, knowing these things in my head and knowing them in my heart are two different things. So, for the moment, my most honest response is simply, I don't know.

No comments: