Monday, December 21, 2009

Is it really a lie?

Recently, I was out running errands and I ran into a friend of mine. We greeted each other and she asked how I was doing. I responded with "Just fine." She then told me not to lie to her. She said she could tell my arthritis was bothering me by the way I was walking. Now, she said this very kindly and with the best of intentions, but it has since been weighing on my mind...was I really lying?

If I was, it was certainly without intention. I don't like complaining to people, even my good friends. I also don't like to dwell on the fact that I hurt. Yes, a lot of the time, I hurt. My arthritis bothers me in some fashion on a daily basis. Usually, nothing major, just a little ache here and there. But, if I dwelt on my pain every day, I don't know that I could even get out of bed. And honestly, I do consider it a good day when I can get out and run errands. I know that a day may come, when even simply running to the store on my own will be impossible.

So, if I said I was just fine, for that moment I really was fine - not great, not wonderful, but fine.

1 comment:

Suzanne Di Silvestri said...

Nah, it's not a lie. And I agree it's better not to complain. When people ask me this now I laugh and answer 'fine' too. What am I going to say to the poor innocent grocery clerk who really doesn't care how I am and is just being polite? "Well, actually, I have stage IV cancer and have been experiencing some side effects from my chemotherapy and am not feeling all that well right now. But thanks for asking." Can you imagine the look on the poor sap's face? He would never be polite to anyone ever again!

No, I think fine means just that. Fine. Which can mean many things.

We are praying for your trip as you depart tomorrow. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and weren't too crazy with the two things together. Enjoy every minute (and especially every meal!).