Monday, June 1, 2009

The ultimate insult

This evening, the kids were all playing happily together in one of the bedrooms. This was, of course, short lived.

Darian came to me, with tears in his eyes, saying, "Sophia is calling me mean names and she won't stop!"

Now, Darian can sometimes be overly sensitive, but we have been having issues with Sophia calling people names. Nothing really bad, just calling someone a "baby" or "stinky", fairly typical little sister type things. I, however, am fairly sensitive to the name calling. I grew up with two older brothers and a younger brother who loved to tease me, so I tend to not tolerate my kids name calling.

With a bit of a sigh, I asked Darian what name she was calling him now.

"Little fish."

Seriously??? This was the traumatic, horrible name she was calling him? I tried, but could not stop my burst of laughter. Now, I have probably traumatized him. Plus, I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I told Sophia to stop calling her brother a "little fish."

It just goes to show you that a little sister can turn anything into an insult.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

oh I needed a good laugh! It is sometime shard to play the role of parent when things like that happen! Thank you for reminding me I need to laugh more often! :-)

Rachel said...

That was great! As I was reading it, I had to scroll down to actually read what Sophia called him. Like Bianca, I had a good laugh too. Thanks!